Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Sneaky Husband

A couple of weeks ago, Dave used up a few of his vacation days.  On his first vacation day, we went to the aquarium.  (I blogged about that already.)  The next day, he told me he planned to spend the morning helping his Dad with a few things and if there was time that afternoon he would work on his Volkswagens.  The third vacation day would be used solely on his Volkswagens.

Well, I pull up into the driveway after working on his 2nd day off and he meets me outside.  While grinning a sly, I'm-up-to-something smile, he says, "How would you feel about going out to dinner tonight?"  Immediately, a few scenarios run through my head.  He's trying to be super romantic.  He is starving and wants dinner fast.  He's done something to the house and it's unfit to make dinner in.

After walking inside, I quickly see that the last scenario is the accurate one this time.  There are kitchen cabinet doors and painting supplies all over the place.  My kitchen was a mess!  (Yes, I can say "my" kitchen because Dave and I agreed before we got married that the garage is HIS and the kitchen is MINE.  Works out nicely! :o)  However, I was so surprised and happy and shocked and angry all at the same time!  Let me explain.

When we moved into this house, the kitchen/dining room wallpaper was one of the first things I noticed that I definitely did not like.  The kitchen cabinets also needed to be repainted because one cupboard door had been painted a different color before we moved in but that's it.  The paint job begun by the previous owner had ended there.  And, they were dirty and stained and Dave and I just didn't like them.

I knew they needed to be painted, I was just putting it off and putting it off.  I don't like painting, especially when it involves removing ALL the cupboard doors and handles, etc.  What a pain!  So, I just hadn't "gotten around to it" yet.

When I realized that my sweet husband had used up part of his day off to start the big, dreaded project, I was so happy and grateful!  He hadn't even hinted that he was going to be doing it so I was totally taken off guard.  At the same time, though, I was upset that he was wasting his day off on a project for MY kitchen that I really should have taken the initiative and done weeks months ago.

He wouldn't let me help, though.  He stayed up super late that night working on it and sent me to bed so I would be rested for work the next day.  He spent his last day off finishing up the kitchen.  I felt bad, but very appreciative for his willingness to do something so nice for me, especially when he has a bazillion other things on his own To-Do list to do with his time off.  What a man!

Anyway, sorry for that long explanation!

Needless to say Dave is a great painter!  Check out these super white kitchen cabinets!!


Now I need to get motivated (and invite my friends who have steamers over) and take down the wallpaper and paint the kitchen.

Thanks, Dave, for your hard work!  You are wonderful!  I owe ya one!  Or two, or three...  ;o)

1 comment:

  1. what a GREAT guy!!!!! =D Hope the wallpaper-removal party goes smoothly. That's one thing I miss while renting, can't really change any colors in our house. Oh well, at least we don't have to pay for repairs....we can take the cost out of the rent! =D

    ReplyDelete